Bathurst Carillon War Memorial
Location : 3 Church St, Bathurst
The tower is constructed with 221,00 locally made bricks, which house a bell frame. It has 3 levels and is 30 meters high with 35 harmonically tuned bronze bells. All the bells have the Bathurst coat of arms and an inscription cast onto it.
The largest bell weighs 1575kg with the inscription reading, “Thus Bathurst and her surrounding villages honour their men of 1914-1918 Lest We Forget”.
The second largest bell is inscribed “To the ever glorious memory of our fallen comrades. Greater love has no man, than this that he laid down his life for his friends’.
The third largest bell carries the Red Cross emblem in honour of war nurses.
The other bells are named for the regional villages.
The smallest bell weighs 8kg.
The doors commemorating both world wars provide an entry to an interior featuring an eternal flame of remembrance.
The Carillon has become a living tribute to all service men and women who have served in all wars, it’s a gathering place for rememberance services throughout the year, and especially on Anzac day.
The Carillon was originally intended to commemorate all those who died in World War 1 (Gallipoli) opening on 11th November 1933, Armistice Day by Mayor Martin Griffin and attended by 15,000 people.